Pencil Painting Network

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pencil Painting Network

For all artists who love to paint with all kind of pencils like colored pencils, watercolor pencils, graphite, pastel pencils and so on.

2 posters

Blending Techniques

Gerri
    Gerri

Blending Techniques Empty Blending Techniques

Post  Gerri Fri May 28, 2010 10:28 am

This is one of my top concerns with cp's. I like a blended look, and have tried different things, such as a trimmed bristle brush, with a little heat. I know a lot of people use different types of oils, such as mineral oil (I have some Eco House citrus oil), but I've had concerns with how the oil affects the fibres of the paper in the long run. Right now I'm experimenting with the citrus oil on Arches hp watercolor paper. I've already wrecked (I'm good at wrecking pictures!!!)the picture, as the oil really darkened the colors, although it did give a very smooth look. I chose the watercolor paper because it's 100% cotton, and I thought maybe there might be less chance of damage.

What kind of thoughts do you guys have on blending...or do you prefer the unblended look?
    Gerri
    Gerri

Blending Techniques Empty Re: Blending Techniques

Post  Gerri Sat May 29, 2010 12:12 pm

So, I've been trying to research the effects of mineral oil on Arches Watercolor paper, but there's sure not much information out there! I thought maybe because it is 100% cotton rag and sized it might be okay. When using the Arches hp watercolor paper, you can really get a lovely smooth finish. I'm still torn on this subject, the lovely effects vs the chance that the oil will degrade the fibres of the paper over time.

Does anybody have any information on using oils with paper, or can point me in the direction of some information.
    Janby
    Janby

Post  Janby Sun May 30, 2010 12:11 am

I'd be really interested in any information on this, too, Gerri scratch
    Gerri
    Gerri

Post  Gerri Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:26 am

We're not having much luck with this topic Janby! I think it's really hard to get a definitive answer on this subject, although a few sites do mention that oil and paper just don't mix. I came across a site that was talking about oil painting on paper, and there, it did advise that you prime the paper with a mat medium or gesso. The site did mention that it wasn't a very good idea to use paper, and pointed to the fact that we have very few surviving pieces of paintings on paper from the old masters, as they just didn't survive. I know we're not 'masters' and most of us don't need our work to survive for hundreds of years, I'm just not sure how long it takes for the fibres of the paper to degrade when oil is used.

I tried the mat medium at one time, and it did change how the pencil looked on the paper. This would be a learning curve, first learning how to use the pencils on a primed paper, and then learning how to use the oil.

On the picture I was testing recently, I tried to use very little oil on a soft paint brush, hoping that the oil would stay on top of the colored pencil, and not really touch the paper, but I do notice, even a week later, that on the back side you can tell that oil was used. I was testing 140 lb Arches hp watercolor paper.
    Janby
    Janby

Post  Janby Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 am

I can't remember where I read this, possibly in Alyona's book. From what I can remember, you only use a tiny bit of oil on your brush, blotting it on a tissue before using on your work. I'll have to look it up again Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:46 pm